Thursday, September 20, 2012

Food In China

In my last blog I mentioned a bit about the food here. But I mainly hit on the fast food, and food that is delivered to your door. So I am going to dedicate this blog to some of the food here in China that I have come to love, and eat quite frequently.

One of my major concerns when coming to China was if I would be able to find food that I would like. I always heard food poisoning stories and people told me horror stories. But so far I have been fine and haven't been sick once :)

I would also like to add that it is not hard to find good food here. It is not as cheap as the street food, but its still not expensive in comparison to the USA or Europe.

** Please note that I am a very picky eater. So the things I post here are not as adventurous as what my classmates might have. **

Real Ramen! It is noodles with meat, veggies and a hard-boiled egg. This is about $4.


An Irish coffee I indulged in when we were at M50 (Textile factories that they made into several art galleries)

At Hibachi (a Japanese style restaurant where they cook all food in front of you on a flat grill.) We paid a flat rate of about $20 for all you can eat and drink. We had sushi, shrimp, fish, lamb chops, pork chops, steak, chicken and so much more.


This is at a place called Xiabu Xiabu. Basically you get a pot in the middle of the table to cook your food yourself. You pick the broth you want (we had two kinds) and then what meat and veggies you wanted to put in. About a $5 meal.


I ate street food here. It was actually very good despite my original skepticism. I liked that I was able to watch him cook my food thoroughly. I paid less that a dollar for 3 skewers.


A fried rice dish that I sometimes get at the ramen restaurant. It comes with miso soup and is great! Costs about $4.

This is basically the same meal I get every time I go to the cafeteria on campus. It costs about $1 for everything you see here. And it is what they recommend for us to eat because it is safe food.

1 comment:

  1. They have that soup thing in Houston! I go to a place where you just have a burner and u make your own soup. raw meat and veggies and everything. the food actually looks good in china! glad you have stuff to eat!

    ReplyDelete