Wednesday, December 5, 2012

What you need to bring to China

So for whoever is reading this blog, be it future Alliance students or future China travelers, or people who just want to know... these are the things that are hard to find in China. Or are just good to have.


1) Medicine

You need to bring whatever medicine you take on a regular basis to China. I don't know how many times I have given my classmates simple over the counter medicine such as ibuprofen or tums. Maybe even consider bringing band aids and neosporin. And a allergy medicine. Simple things that you don't need to go to the doctor for. You will not find these things easily in China as you would in the USA or Europe.

2) Bug Spray

Mosquitoes are TERRIBLE here. Even now we are still having issues with mosquitoes. Mainly in the dorm rooms, gym, and classrooms. I have to spray myself with bug spray before I go to sleep or I wake up the next morning with tons of mosquito bites.

3) Mechanical Pencils

Erasers and mechanical pencils are in short supply. Everything else you will be good on. But when you are writing characters, you don't want to write in pen.

4) Skin Care

For the ladies, and men too. I would strongly advise bringing enough face wash and moisturizer for your time abroad. Most of the things here for the face contain agents that are supposed to make your skin whiter. This goes for body lotion as well. Not to mention things of this nature are considered "luxury" items so they are more than what you would pay for at home.

5) Deodorant

The deodorant here is mainly in spray form... and not as efficient. Bring like 2-3 containers of your own deodorant to China. This goes for the men as well

6) Electricity adaptor/converter thing

I got mine at Walmart and it was 10$. It is also for world wide use so that way you can use it in multiple countries. This was handy for when we traveled to Hong Kong and Macau. Not only that but you will need it for things you bring from home. I brought 2 with me.
 
7) For the Ladies

Certain feminine care products aren't available here. You can message me if you would like to know more.

8) VPN

This is a Virtual Private Network. This is how I am able to be on blogger. Otherwise it would be blocked because google and all things owned by google are blocked in China. Normally your school will have a VPN for you to use, make sure that you have it downloaded on your computer BEFORE you get to China, otherwise it will not work. I am using a VPN that isn't from my school because I didn't know about them before I came to China.

9) Hand Sanitizer

This is crucial because the majority of bathrooms here are repulsive and won't have any soap to wash your hands with. They also don't have toilet paper in the majority of them as well. But you can buy packets of hand tissues to use here. However you WILL NOT find hand sanitizer, so I suggest you bring a few.


That is all I can think about for right now. I will also make a blog on what you DON'T need to bring to China. Like things you can buy here so that you have more space in your suitcase.

No comments:

Post a Comment